Korea ESL 101

Korea ESL 1012017-12-07T07:12:21+09:00

Korea ESL 101


Application Process


Contract Condition


Settle Down

All Articles

Severance Pay in Korea

Contract Condition|

Severance Pay Severance Pay Eligibility and Details If the employee finishes one-year contract successfully, they get paid for an extra month of work, severance pay, which is equal to one-month’s salary. Therefore, at the end of a one-year contract, they will get their monthly salary plus severance pay. Also, they have to pay the appropriate severance payment tax at the end of year. To be eligible for severance pay, the employee has to [...]

Getting FBI Check State Level Apostilled Swiftly

Application Process|

Getting FBI Check Sate Level Apostilled Swiftly Due to the COVID-19 disruption, for the American teachers, it takes a great amount of time to sort out the visa documents working with the super slow government authorities.   Especially as per getting an apostille after obtaining an FBI check, we have seen the teachers who directly applied to the Federal Department of State took more than 6 - 8 weeks to receive an apostilled FBI check back.   However [...]

Korea ESL School’s Deductions from Salary

Contract Condition|

Deductions from Salary From your salary, you are going to get the deductions of Income Tax, Pension, Health Insurance and others. Check out how much you are going to get deductions from your salary from this article. 1. Income Tax (3% ~ 5%) All teachers working in Korea on an E-2 Visa pays Korean taxes. It is your employer’s responsibility to file your taxes on your behalf, and it [...]

E-2 Visa Transfer

Application Process|

E-2 Visa Transfer Visa Transfer to a New Job Teachers in Korea who want to work at another school are required to go through Visa Transfer process. Those teachers won’t need to obtain new sets of the documents they already obtained before coming to South Korea.  After preparing the documents as below, a teacher or a school representative needs to visit the Immigration in order to get the transfer done same day. In case that a school [...]

Korea ESL School’s Dress Code

Settle Down|

Dress Code Respectful Appearance Preferred Standards of dress code vary from school to school but in general, most schools expect a "respectful" casual appearance. It is always safe and good to wear semi-formal clothes. Keep in mind that you are trying to dress in a manner which presents you as a serious teacher to your students, students' parents and business directors. Avoid mini-skirts, ripped or torn jeans or t-shirts with offensive slogans, extreme haircuts, [...]

Hagwons vs. Public Schools

Application Process, Contract Condition|

Hagwons vs. Public Schools These are only the Generalized Pros and Cons and the choice is up to you! Therefore YOU should research the school thoroughly before signing a contract. Best advice is that you have to talk to the current/previous foreign teachers and find out if the pay is always on time, what the school and director is like and if they are happy in terms of both working and living there. [...]

Things to Pack for Korea

Korea Living, Settle Down|

Things to Pack Pack Light! We recommend you only bring a light load of clothing and essentials with you to Korea. You can pretty much find most of items you will need in Korea. You will eventually be leaving Korea. The more you bring, the more you'll have to take with you or get rid of when you leave. And you'll shop a lot in Korea. Items to Pack [...]

Getting Notarization and Apostille

Application Process, Essentials|

Getting Notarization And Apostille Notarization First and Apostille Second Apostilles certify documents for international use whereas Notarizations certify that documents are legitimate copies of original documents. All teachers applying for ESL jobs in Korea have to have a Degree/Diploma Copy to be Notarized First and then Apostilled to be accepted by Korean Immigration. In most cases, as the nationwide criminal checks have been issued and signed by the government authorities, the notarization aren't [...]

Korea ESL School’s Sick Leave

Contract Condition|

Sick Leave Taking a Sick Leave is ok but REMEMBER ... Koreans do not take frequent sick leaves due to illness. But exceptions are there for foreign teachers. The employment contract includes generally 3 sick leaves in a year. Teachers are required to notify the employer and submit an accompanying proof of illness from a doctor. If you are taking sick leave, then, do remember that you might be visited by your employer [...]

D-10 Visa Transfer

Application Process|

D-10 Visa Transfer D-10 Job Seeking Visa and Transfer to Work Visa A D-10 Visa, the 'Job-Seeking Visa', allows job applicants the room or grace period to remain in Korea while searching for a new job. A D-10 visa is valid for 6 months. If you have get a new teaching job with this visa, you must transfer your visa to one of work visas (including E-2 visa) at least 2 weeks BEFORE [...]

E-2 Visa Run Guide

Application Process|

E-2 Visa Run Guide Usefulness of Visa Run Thanks to the visa run trip, applying teachers with tourist visa in Korea can conveniently change to E-2 visa via 3 to 4 days of short trip to the nearest countries where Korean consulates/embassies situated as Japan or Hong Kong or Guam. Visa run is also useful when teachers want to switch jobs before contract/visa expires, in which case they'll need to get a letter of [...]

Korea ESL School’s Free Housing

Contract Condition, Korea Living, Settle Down|

Free Housing Free Single Studio Apartment Schools will provide a free single studio apartment (one room plus a small kitchen and bathroom) with basic household furnishings of bed, blanket, pillow, wardrobe, cooking utensils, kitchen table, chairs, two-burner gas hot plate, refrigerator, washing machine, TV, air conditioner, high speed internet and etc.. Couples will be provided with a 2 bedroom apartment. The composition of furnishings can be different by employer so you need to [...]

Korea ESL School’s Paid Vacation

Contract Condition|

Korea ESL School's Paid Vacation Paid Vacation in Korea ESL schools Most private schools grant paid five days vacation in the summer and five days vacation in the winter in addition to 13-15 Korean National Holidays. Public school teachers can expect 4 weeks of paid vacation time in addition to 13-15 Korean National holidays. Official Korean National Holidays Koreans officially follow the Gregorian calendar, even though there are [...]

How to get F-4 Visa for Korean Descendants (Gyopos)

Application Process|

How to get F-4 Visa F-4 Visa is only provided to Korean descendants (people with Korean heritage or lineage or called 'Gyopos') who are NOT Korean citizens NOW. Eligible Applicants Foreign citizens who previously possessed Korea citizenship (They must have renounced their Korea citizenship.) Foreign citizens with at least one parent or grandparent who possessed Korea citizenship in the past but who currently is a citizen of another country. [...]

Go to Top